Monday, August 13, 2007

A true Imaginaut...

I just got hit with some awful news and I'm absolutely reeling from it.
One of the comic book industry's most talented artists, Mike Wieringo, passed away yesterday of a sudden heart attack. He was only 44.
This is especially hard to swallow, because Mike was more than just an artistic visionary... he was a true friend.
I had the great honor of working as Assistant Editor on FANTASTIC FOUR , which Mike penciled from 2002-2005. Every page he turned in was a delight... and every phone conversation we shared revealed his passion and professionalism. He was one of my favorite people to work with, and one of the few I kept in touch with even after I left editorial.
In one of the final FF stories I worked on with Mike, the FF visits heaven to find a fallen comrade. While there, they discover that the great creator is actually an artist.
I know that Mike is up there now, showing him how it's done...
Well miss you, sir...

3 Comments:

At August 13, 2007 at 11:59 AM , Blogger Heywood Jablomie said...

I just got news of this myself. The world has lost a great one, and a lot of us have lost a hero, but we'll have the work he's done at least and that's saying a lot. It's really cool that you got to work with him though, I'm sure it was awesome!

Mike

 
At August 13, 2007 at 1:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences...so sad!

 
At August 14, 2007 at 4:08 PM , Blogger Kristy said...

I'm so sorry! I was just talking to my hubby about this last night that the average age for a heart attack that kills you is now 40-42! He didn't believe me, but it came from a cardiac nurse. Even more reason that what you are doing to exercise and eat right! Have I mentioned I am proud of you for your dedication to be fit?! Anyway... just wanted to offer my condolences.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home